Midnight at 5 O'clock pt 2

 


Midnight at 5 O'clock part 2


Ps: For a better understanding, read pt 1 if you haven't. Follow who know road. Lol


There aren't so many good days in life. A force within kept promting me to do something for Yaw. So I did. I went to my university class page to ask if any of my mates works at the teaching hospital. As usual, they will read but will not reply until the first person does. Such an annoying bunch of cronies. So I texted BMS Abeiku. God bless my stars and luck. He was still at the teaching hospital although not at the accident and emergency center. I asked him to pull all the strings he could to get a bed for Yaw. Abeiku did his best, but he could not get us a bed. Despite his built muscles he could not pull any useful string. His gym subscription should be canceled.


I have already told you that the private ambulance services have the ability to get beds for patients. Yes! They eventually did for Yaw.

But before they could get him on to the bed, the oxygen got finished. Hope is not a prepaid service, we were running out of it and had to top it up. Dial star one two oh forget. Yaw was going. In medical series a nurse or doctor will shout "code blue" but over here, Abeiku told me, a nurse shouted:"Obi nso me mu oo". To wit, I need help here. I don't actually think the nurse said that but Abeiku is a fante. They like to joke. Firstly, they got him on oxygen. Secondly, ok secondly nothing.


The nurses asked for his referral note. Her mum did not have it. No one had it. Apparently, it remained in the broken down ambulance which was thirty minutes away. They demanded for it. Not the paper but what it entailed so they don't act on a blind side. Yaw's mom narrated what happened but it wasn't enough. Abeiku called me and I phoned our emergency unit. Miracles do happen because the call was picked on the first call. That seldom happens since some nurses often want to finish watching the TikTok video they are on before picking a call. We connected the emergency nurses on both sides and the teaching hospital got all they needed.


One thing was interesting to notice. There were police officers around always but none answered questions even though it was conspicuous they had answers to. And the question that we all wanted an answer to was : "what in the name of Nebuchadnezzar happened"?. Just as personnel at the fire units will want to watch Oyerepa TV or play draught to while away their hours on shift. Maybe these police officers too have nothing doing today.


In came Dr. Alingo. A young doctor with an interesting flair and swag. Let's call him doctor azonto. OK no, Alingo is ok. He was the house officer. He went in and later came his bosses. Abeiku tells me he knows not what was happening. Yaw's mother, Abeiku and Yaw's uncle who had joined them were all waiting for either good news or bad news. The latter seemed to be winning the ballots. A nurse rushed out of Yaw's room to pick something in another room. Yaw's mother does not Learn. She wanted to ask the nurse something but she spoke to the wind instead.


It was blood the nurse went for. Two units of screened "O" negative blood. That's the blood you can give to everyone. An hour later they all came out. Dr. Alingo asked of who came with Yaw. His mother,apprehensive, got up. Dr. Alingo made her and Abeiku know Yaw is on life support. That's all he said. Dr. Alingo seemed to be a man of few words but I think maybe he was hungry. He rushed out as another emergency was coming to their bay. A nurse came to talk to Yaw's mother. The prognosis was like Ghana Black Stars in Afcon tournament. The hope was little but we all kept looking for a better outcome.


Abeiku texted me. It was ten o'clock in the evening. He was leaving for his house. I hope the Kenkey and fish seller is still around because that's all he can afford. Nobody knew what was going to happen the next day. But we all said our prayers and hoped Yaw does not leave us the next day. We slept.


The next day I asked Abeiku. He didn't reply my texts. I called the emergency unit. They didn't return my calls. I had no way to reach Yaw's mom. Later Abeiku texted me. He had left for a family emergency back at home. I called the emergency unit again, they picked. I was told Yaw had been sent to the wards. I asked which ward. The person on the other side hung up on me. That is rude but not new, some female nurses in Ghana can be arrogant and rude. Maybe it's in their prospectus and student guides.


A month has passed. The police have still not adressed the issue. I still have not seen an obituary poster of Yaw around. I was in my office when I was told I have a visitor. I let the person in. It was Yaw's mother. She wore black all over. I felt chills all over me. She looked gloomy too.

The message was quite clear. Yaw didn't make it. She greeted and introduced herself,although I knew her. This woman likes talking. She thanked me for all I did for Yaw. I did not want to ask of him. The answer could break me although I had an idea. My consolation was that Abeiku, myself and Dr. Alingo tried, unlike Dr. Oteng who always wants to wash his hands off emergency cases and refer the case. Such a Pontius Pilate of a doctor.


My office door opened and in came Yaw! I thought I had seen a ghost but this one had airpods. Yaw was alive. His mom spoke again. Thanking me again. I asked Yaw what happened. He told me he was sent on an errand and met people running in his direction. Before he could turn to run, a police shot him. I was shown his scar on his chest. I touched it, yes call me Thomas. My tears were apparent. His mum and Yaw hugged me. They were on their way for a funeral at their hometown. That explains the colours his mother wore. She should not do that again. I don't like that.


This story is about Yaw. But this story is not about Yaw. Whichever angle you look at it from, you're on your own. I have to go now. You'll hear again from me soon.


Kindly share the the link to this blog and follow too.


Till next time, bye for now.

Comments

  1. Masked the main issue with great writing 🀝🏾🀝🏾🀝🏾

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing is impeccable,your plot and it twists are interesting you’re quite a story teller✅✅. Good job πŸ‘

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Midnight at 5 O'clock